HOW CAN I HELP?
a) Helping organize some aspect of the league
- The GYBL organization team & coaches are volunteers and they rely on others to help.
- If you wish to help out please approach any of the organizers who will be at AISG on Saturdays and Sundays.
b) Coaching or assisting one of the teams
- You can help out by offering to coach or assist the other coaches, especially if you see that they are short-staffed on a particular Saturday or Sunday. Do not wait to be asked, simply offer your help.
c) Helping your children to understand the aims of the league
- One of the aims of GYBL is to instill good sportsmanship in children. We aim for basketball to be played in a good spirit. If your child finishes a match in tears because their team has lost the game or because they disagree with a referee’s decision, please help us by explaining our approach to them. In some cases it can be hard to accept the rules of the game and that the referee’s decision is final. The children can be extremely competitive and do not like to lose. Explain to them that taking part and playing well is equally as important as winning. Referee’s can make mistakes too!
- If you are standing on the sidelines or sitting in the bleachers chatting to other parents, please keep an eye on the training session and games. If you see your child misbehaving or refusing to take part in an activity, please come onto the court and encourage them to join in or stop their bad behavior. The coaches appreciate your interest and support for the children. Your feedback (constructive of course!) to the coaches can be a great help as well.
d) Sportsmanship vs bad & unsporting behavior
- One of the aims of GYBL is to help the children understand the rules of basketball and to enjoy the game for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect and a strong sense of fellowship with one's team mates and competitors.
- Being a "good sport" involves being a "good winner" as well as being a "good loser".
- Please support the coaches by ensuring that your children understand that we absolutely do not want to see bad or unsporting behavior on the on or off the basketball court.
- For instance, swearing or violence will absolutely not be tolerated! If coaches encounter this sort of unacceptable behavior, they can send the children off the pitch to the “sin-bin”.
- We expect & appreciate the support of all parents in this.
e) Being there for your children
- We expect at least one parent to stay and watch the session and provide encouragement to their children. The coaches are not professional teachers and do not expect to act as babysitters for badly behaved children or those who would prefer to be elsewhere.